HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

This blog represents the way I see some of the most significant events impacting the world and its citizens. This blog also represents how I react to the events as a member of humanity with a voice, a determined voice that insists to be heard. The voice of an Iranian who loves his country but his priority is humanity; humanity without border. I will say what I want to say, when I want to say it, and how I want to say it, but I will never lie. I will also listen; I promise.

October 18, 2003

Why Persian and not Iranian?

I have been meaning for sometime to write a few words about an issue that has been bothering me a lot. Many of Iranians, always feel proud of what was once the center of world civilization, science and culture; the Persian Empire. Well, let me be honest; when I think about that, I feel good too, but what I have to be careful about is to make sure I don't fall into the same arrogance that I am accusing many Americans of being in today. It is not important how powerful Persia used to be, It is not important that Persia used to be a sole superpower of the world when Europe was in dark ages and the US, well, wasn't even born yet. What is important is to recognoze what happened to that superpower and why did it happen? What is important is to examine facts to see whether that Great Empire, lived up to the expectations from an Empire or not. Some suggest it did as the first ever declaration of global Human Rights was issued by a Persian king (Cyrus the Great) after conquering Babylon and freeing Jews from slavery. Also some suggest it didn't and perhaps show some evidence proving their claim. Whatever it was, it doesn't really matter. What are we now? And what happened to us? That's the question. That is the question that if properly answered, it might be a huge help to the Americans to realize things won't always stay the same and unless a better approach to crisis are made, free fall will happen sooner or later. Once, no one would have thought Persian Empire would fall but it fell. Once no one would have thought that Roman Empire would fall but it fell. 50-60 years of being a superpower is like a blink of an eye compare to the length of human history. We see it huge only because we live in it but even the length of each one of our lives is just like a blink of an eye compare to the history.

All above is not, however, my major point in writing this today. What I've been wandering about is that I see many of my compatriots introduce themselves as "Persians" and not Iranians. In a conversation with an Iranian when it is clear that I am an Iranian, I will introduce myself as Persian or from the city I was born in, if asked, but when talking to a non-Iranian, I will call myself "Iranian" or "from Iran" and not "Persian" or "from Persia" although I was born to Persian parents.

Although the word "Persia" might bring back the memories of the glorious past, we have to remember that calling ourselves "Persian" and our country "Persia" is nothing but an insult to other Iranians who are not Persians. The word Iran, with the meaning of "the Land of Aryans", is more comprehensive and includes vast majority of the ethnics who live in Iran.

Today, being introduced as Persian is becoming so common that it even shows itself in the names chosen for many of the blogs run by Iranians. And it is a sad state of lack of self-belief and lack of pride about what we are NOW. Let's be proud of our past, but live in present and act based on what we are or we should be now. Let's start by changing the name of our blogs to more represent our current being and avoid creating divisions amongst ourselves.

My ultimate hope is that one day, I will be able to truly call myself "a citizen of earth" without any particular nationality.

|
Top iran blogs award

HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

Top iran blogs