HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

This blog represents the way I see some of the most significant events impacting the world and its citizens. This blog also represents how I react to the events as a member of humanity with a voice, a determined voice that insists to be heard. The voice of an Iranian who loves his country but his priority is humanity; humanity without border. I will say what I want to say, when I want to say it, and how I want to say it, but I will never lie. I will also listen; I promise.

November 05, 2003

Maternity deaths in Iraq have nearly tripled

The number of women who die of pregnancy and childbirth in Iraq has nearly tripled since 1990, according to a reproductive health survey conducted by UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund. Bleeding, ectopic pregnancies and prolonged labour are among the causes of the reported 310 deaths per 100,000 live births in 2002, which the study found had risen sharply from 117 deaths in 1989. Miscarriages have also risen, partly due to stress and exposure to chemical contaminants. Read here .

It is undisputable that the 12 years of criminal sanctions which only hurt ordinary Iraqis and not Saddam has played a major role on this. It is also reasonable to predict that these figures will rise as a result of the constant frieght and stress caused by the the current ongoing war.

I was advised by one of the unhappy readers of the blog that if I use the word "criminal" too many times, it will loose its weight. He may be right, but what can I do? I truly cannot find a better vocabulary to describe the nature of current US administartion and its actions. So, untill my English improves, this is the most meaningful word that I have to use.

|
Top iran blogs award

HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

Top iran blogs