HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

This blog represents the way I see some of the most significant events impacting the world and its citizens. This blog also represents how I react to the events as a member of humanity with a voice, a determined voice that insists to be heard. The voice of an Iranian who loves his country but his priority is humanity; humanity without border. I will say what I want to say, when I want to say it, and how I want to say it, but I will never lie. I will also listen; I promise.

November 13, 2003

New Delhi defeats Hamilton to host Commonwealth games

In a close vote of the 70 delegates from so-called Commonwealth countries, the finalist New Delhi edged Hamilton; the other finalist, to host 2010 Commonwealth games.

As a citizen of Canada, some might argue that I should be unhappy about this result. I might also be accused of being disloyal to Canada. Well, I'm not, but arrogance is unacceptable with any shape and nationality, and Whether it is Iranian, Canadian or American type of arrogance, it changes nothing in its unacceptable nature. Why do I call this arrogance and why I am not unhappy about this? Here are some reasons:

One of the points of argument for Indian delegate was that India is the biggest Commonwealth democracy and has never had the chance to host these games while Canada has had this opportunity four times before. Canadian delegate's response? "Thank you for the complement about the successful previous hosting of the games by Canada, but sorry, we would like to have it again". This is, in my opinion, the outmost arrogance and selfishness in part of Canada (I should say Canadian delegate rather) and is the most stupid reply one can give to the reasonable argument of Indian delegate.

Whether these games are good or not for Canada and for the city of Hamilton is not part of my argument here, but assuming (just assuming) it is generally a good thing for whichever city that becomes the host of these games, it would not be fair to deny India its first opportunity to host these games by giving it to Canada for the fifth time.

Beside all of this, I am also hoping to see Canada out of Commonwealth countries by 2010, as I see this gathering as a symbol of British colonialism. I am also hoping to see India out of this by then. So let the Queen or her successor play the games by her/himself.

|
Top iran blogs award

HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

Top iran blogs