HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

This blog represents the way I see some of the most significant events impacting the world and its citizens. This blog also represents how I react to the events as a member of humanity with a voice, a determined voice that insists to be heard. The voice of an Iranian who loves his country but his priority is humanity; humanity without border. I will say what I want to say, when I want to say it, and how I want to say it, but I will never lie. I will also listen; I promise.

February 02, 2006

Is Harper's first broken promise coming on the first day in power?

I don't know, but it seems to me that we can expect to see the first broken promise of Stephen Harper in the first day assuming power on February the 6th.

One of the main campaign promises of Canada's Prime Minister-designate, Stephen Harper was to lower the GST from 7 to 6 percent right away after forming the government (and lower by one more percentage point within five years). Regardless of the fact that the GST cut would only benefit those with high disposable income, I am not even sure if Harper can keep his promise. After all, as far as I know, the existence of the GST is a law and in order to change that law, it needs to be revisited in and by the parliament (which is not even known when it will begin working) and after all the debates, if the modification attracts majority of votes, it can become the new law.

Harper should have and must have known the parliamentary procedures when he was making that promise. If my understanding of the procedure is accurate, then the question is that is Harper incompetent for not knowing about this or was he simply lying to the voters while he knew he wouldn't be able to deliver on his promise, at least the way it was outlined in his election campaign!

Now, let's see how he is going to deal with this issue and his possible broken promise.

|
Top iran blogs award

HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

Top iran blogs