HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

This blog represents the way I see some of the most significant events impacting the world and its citizens. This blog also represents how I react to the events as a member of humanity with a voice, a determined voice that insists to be heard. The voice of an Iranian who loves his country but his priority is humanity; humanity without border. I will say what I want to say, when I want to say it, and how I want to say it, but I will never lie. I will also listen; I promise.

December 26, 2003

Timing is the main factor - Update


Following the previous post regarding the earthquake in Iran, I believe the affected people need blanket, need food, need the emergency aid right now. There have been many back and forth emails exchanged between some bloggers in which the main question was whether we should use Red Cross (or its Iranian leg; Red Crescent) as a channel for donations. Many disagreed and some believe it might be our only choice.

Since the timing is very critical in this matter, I believe we should start doing something even if it is not the most efficient way. I can think of some alternatives some more efficient than the others:

1- Find and contact someone (some group) in Iran that you can trust and if they are prepared, collect money and send it to them so they can use it as needed. I have asked one of the most trusted people that I know; my sister (and her husband) and she is ready to take my donations and find the best way to use it for the people in need.

2- Find some people you know and you trust, and get the donations through them.

3- Accept some reduced efficiency and donate to Red Cross (Red Crescent). If the affected people receive even half of the donations today, it is better than complete donations when there is no urgency.

4- If in the US, send your donations via Mercy Corps. See here for more.

5- If you live in the US, please don't let the ridiculous sanctions deter you from donating.

Please send me your email if you wish:
faramin@inwarwetrust.org

I am sure if you want, you can find a way to help.
For some pictures see here .
The latest news (sorry, link in Persian)

Update:
Pedram at Eyeranian has spoken to the officials at Mercy Corps that apparently has effective presence in Iran.
This is what Pedram says in his latest:
"I have it confirmed. Just spoke to the program director at Mercy Corps and she read me the confirmations straight from their VP that their own team of five has already landed in the Iranian city of Zahedan and they will be overlooking the job of spending all the donations, everything from distributing blankets, medicine and more all the way to allocating rebuilding money directly and no money will be transfered to any agent or employees of the Iranian government. I am sending my own donation through them and hope you do too."

Update:
Also, According to Natasha Relief International is a reliable channel with staff currently working in Iran. They can be contacted at (310)478-1200 or 1800-573-3332.

|
Top iran blogs award

HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

Top iran blogs