HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

This blog represents the way I see some of the most significant events impacting the world and its citizens. This blog also represents how I react to the events as a member of humanity with a voice, a determined voice that insists to be heard. The voice of an Iranian who loves his country but his priority is humanity; humanity without border. I will say what I want to say, when I want to say it, and how I want to say it, but I will never lie. I will also listen; I promise.

October 20, 2005

Iranian womens' never stopping push for identity

KARAJ, IRAN – The rewards are great - and the disappointments as powerful as any felt by firefighters around the world. But at Station No. 9 in Karaj, west of Tehran, a small unit prides itself on being like few others: the only squad of women firefighters in the Middle East... .

Sure it is not even nearly enough, but I'm glad it is there especially when considering this:
Finding a balance between Islam and gender issues is easier in Iran than in some other Muslim countries such as Saudi Arabia, where women are not allowed to drive, much less hold office.
And that's only because Iranian women are constantly resisting the oppression and are pushing to preserve their identity.
A women's unit might have made a difference in the holy city of Mecca in March 2002, during a blaze at a girls' school. Some 15 girls died and 50 were injured when Saudi religious police, according to eyewitnesses, beat the girls and kept them from leaving the burning building because they were not wearing "correct" Islamic dress.
And.. Saudi Arabia is one of the greatest Middle-Eastern allies of which "democracy loving/promoting" government? Absolutely; you guessed it right.

|
Top iran blogs award

HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

Top iran blogs