HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

This blog represents the way I see some of the most significant events impacting the world and its citizens. This blog also represents how I react to the events as a member of humanity with a voice, a determined voice that insists to be heard. The voice of an Iranian who loves his country but his priority is humanity; humanity without border. I will say what I want to say, when I want to say it, and how I want to say it, but I will never lie. I will also listen; I promise.

October 29, 2005

Deep dirt

Rich Senators Defeat Minimum-Wage Hike
Congressional Pay Rises While Minimum Stays Same

This is what happened:
U.S. senators -who draw salaries of $162,100 a year and enjoy a raft of perks- have rejected a minimum wage hike from $5.15 an hour to $6.25 for blue-collar workers.
And who voted for and against it?
All the Democrats voted for the wage boost. All the negative votes were cast by Republicans. Four Republicans voted for it.
Wow! Four Republicans voted for it. They must really care about the poor. Doesn't it appear so? Well, they don't. They just care about their own re-election.
Three of the four are running for reelection and were probably worried about how voters would react if they knew that their well-heeled senators had turned down a pittance of an increase in the salaries of the lowest paid workers in the country.
So, they know that the low income needs the wage hike to survive, but that doesn't matter to them. They are just afraid of the backlash and they only care about it if it helps them to get re-elected. That's exactly what I mean by "deep dirt" which has corrupted most of the US politicians deep to their bones.

|
Top iran blogs award

HUMAN first, then a proud IRANIAN

Top iran blogs